Improve Spoken English
The English language is spoken in many nations including India. Speaking the language fluently allows one to feel confident while communicating or interacting with different people. Not being fluent in English often leads to embarrassing situations for us; we feel unsure of ourselves and that only makes things worse. Here are a few ways that can help overcome the fear, and become confident in speaking English:
- Ever wondered why you are so fluent with your mother tongue? It is because you speak and hear the language more often. What does this suggest? The first and the most crucial step to improve spoken English is to speak it as often as you can. Speak in English with friends, family, relatives, etc. Do not worry about making mistakes. In fact, encourage people around you to correct you as often as they can. This will help you speak correct English and boost your confidence.
- Feeling under confident forces us to speak rapidly because we stumble with words or feel unsure about the pronunciation. Do not let this happen, it shows anxiety and the other person will struggle to understand what you are saying. Speak at a comfortable pace and pronounce your words correctly. There’s is no reason to feel shy or intimidated. We all make mistakes and the only way to learn is to practice and have others correct us.
- Use a dictionary to learn new words or to find out the meaning of a word you may have heard. Make a list and use these words as often as you can.
- Read books, newspapers and magazines. This will allow you to understand the language better and help you learn new words to widen your vocabulary.
- Watch English movies, preferably with subtitles. This, too, will aid you in understanding the language better.
- Read one article out aloud every day, and if possible ask someone to listen and correct you. Focus on speed, clarity and correct pronunciation.
- Record your own voice and listen to it. This will help you gain confidence and work on your mistakes.
- Try and find a partner who is also interested in improving his/her spoken English. Practice together, correct each other and learn together.
- Think in English, instead of translating sentences from other languages that you’re familiar with. Doing this leads to grammatical mistakes and deteriorates the quality of your spoken English.
- Join an online English learning course. Such a programme provides you with the right content and opportunities to practice with other users. Besides this, your answers are corrected and proper feedback is provided.